Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Wow. That is all I can say. A Thousand Splendid Suns is another story of Afghanistan, this time from the perspective of two women. The tale begins at the beginning of the Soviet rule, then on to the Mujahideen (sp?), then the Taliban and finally the events after 9/11. The lives of these two women have intertwined inot one beautiful story of the power of love and friendship. I have to say that at first I was a little bored, like where is this going. The beginning is really setting the whole rest of the book and it is a bit long for a book of this size. However, I don't think you could cut any of that out and still walk away with the same feeling. I was near tears so many times while I read this book...and that is not something that I do! I don't cry when I read. Maybe this story just really hit home because I am a woman. This book shows us dumb and naive Americans what the Taliban truly are capable, what it was like as a woman to live under their rule, what war and destruction can do to a country and its people, and finally how a strong hearted person can get through all that heartache and turmoil. I kept reading, wondering how it could get any worse. It did. I kept wondering if it has a happy ending. It does. Sort of. And I'm saying that because to get through this book, you might need to know that! It was waiting for just everyone to die. REally, you have to read this book. You may think its not a story for you. But the author is so good at making you feel like it is here and now and its easily relatable to your own life. These women went through hell. And I know it is a fictitious story, but this could well be the story of millions of Afghani women. Read it. If I could give this book more than five stars, I would. I'm so depressed now its wonderful.

0 Comments: